Postdoctoral Position in Stream Summarization and Applications
There is a postdoc opening in my group to work on a project concerning algorithms for summarizing large and complex datasets and streaming graph data in particular. Someone who has a strong background in algorithms for data science and an interest in both creating and applying them would be a great fit for this position. Some of our recent work in this area is listed below. Please contact me if you have questions.
Graduate Student Research
I am currently advising students at the PhD and MS level in graph summarization, network resilience, and applications of data science to transportation and hydrology. I expect to have further openings in these areas. My primary appointment is in Electrical and Computer Engineering, but I also advise students in Computer Science and Engineering (where I have a courtesy appointment) and in the Interdisciplinary PhD program in Mathematics.
Applications for graduate study are handled at the departmental level. If you are an interested in joining my group, you should apply to the department and let me know by email so that I can look for your application.
- Stream sampling and graph summarization
- Data driven approaches to network resilience and security
- Data science in transportation
- Data science in hydrology
Papers on Stream Sampling and Graph Summarization
- On the Tradeoff between Stability and Fit, E. Cohen, G. Cormode, N. Duffield, C. Lund, ACM Transactions on Algorithms, to appear
- Graphlet Decomposition: Framework, Algorithms, and Applications, Nesreen K. Ahmed, Jennifer Neville, Ryan A. Rossi, Nick Duffield, Theodore L. Willke, Knowledge and Information Systems, to appear
- Efficient Graphlet Counting for Large Networks, N. Ahmed, J. Neville, R. Rossi, N.Duffield, IEEE ICDM 2015
- Graph Sample and Hold: A Framework for Big-Graph Analytics, N. Ahmed, N. Duffield, J. Neville, R. Kompella, ACM SIGKDD 2014 Conference on Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining.
- Efficient Stream Sampling for Variance-Optimal Estimation of Subset Sums. Edith Cohen, Nick Duffield, Haim Kaplan, Carsten Lund, Mikkel Thorup: SIAM J. Comput. 40(5): 1402-1431 (2011)
- Charging from sampled network usage, N.G. Duffield, C. Lund, M. Thorup, ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Workshop 2001, San Francisco, CA, November 1-2, 2001