News and Announcements
- June 2016: Our paper, titled, “Distributed on-chip voltage regulation: theoretical stability foundation, over-design reduction and performance optimization,” co-authored by Ph. D. Student Xin Zhan, Prof. Li, and Prof. Sánchez-Sinencio, received the prestigious DAC Best Paper Award from the 2016 IEEE/ACM Design Automation Conference. [News Story]
- June 2016: Our paper, titled, “Liquid state machine based pattern recognition on FPGA with firing-activity dependent power gating and approximate computing,” co-authored by Qian Wang, Youjie Li, and Prof. Li, received the Honorary Mention Best Paper Award from the 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), which was held in Montreal, Canada in May. This award was conferred by the Neural Systems and Applications Technical Committee of IEEE Circuits and Systems (CAS) Society. [News Story]
- March 2016: Honghuang Lin, a Ph. D. student in our group, has received a best paper award from DVCon ! Congratulations to Honghuang on this great honor! [News Story]
- December 2015: Di Gao and Hariharan Bhagavatheeswaran got their M.S. degrees and have joined Cadence Design Systems and Qualcomm in San Jose, California, respectively. Best wishes for your future career!
[Left: Hariharan, Right: Peng]
- December 2014: Ph. D. students Parijat Mukherjee and Tong Xu are graduating and will be joining the Intel Strategic CAD Laboratory in Hillsboro, Oregon and Cadence Design Systems in San Jose, California, respectively. Congratulations to them!
[Left to right: Parijat, Peng and Tong]
- May 2014: M. S. student Botang Shao has successfully defended his thesis, titled “Design of energy-efficient approximate arithmetic circuits”. Botang will join Freescale Semiconductor in Austin. Good luck to Botang!
[picture taken on Aug. 15, 2014]
- May 2014: M. S. student James Yu has successfully defended his thesis, titled “EEG-Based drowsiness detection using support vector machine”. James will begin his new journey at BioTex Inc., a biotech company in Houston. Congratulations to James!
- March 2014: Ph. D. student Parijat Mukherjee received a best poster award for his work on analog verification from the TexasWise Workshop. Congratulations to Parijat!
- December 2013: Ph. D. student Yong Zhang defended his Ph. D. thesis “Simulation and Design of Biological and Biologically-Motivated Computing Systems” and will join Cadence Design Systems in San Jose. Congrats to Yong and thanks for all the nice contributions made in the past years!
- November 2013: Ph. D. student Suming Lai has successfully defended his Ph. D. thesis, titled “Modeling, Design and Optimization of IC Power Delivery with On-chip Voltage Regulation.” Suming will join Maxim in San Diego. Congratulations to Suming!
- September 2013: Ph. D. student Suming Lai was honored as a co-recipient of Dwight Look College of Engineering Outstanding Engineering Student Award. Suming is one of the two Ph. D. students who have received this award in the college for this year. Congratulations to Suming!
- August 2013: Ph. D. student Yongtae Kim has successfully defended his Ph. D. dissertation, entitled “Energy Efficient and Error Resilient Neuromorphic Computing in VLSI”. He has joined Intel Corporation. Congratulations to Yongtae!
- June 2013: Congratulations to our former group remember, Dr. Zhuo Feng, a faculty member at Michigan Tech., for receiving the prestigious IEEE/ACM DAC best paper award for year 2013! [more …]
- November 2012: Our paper, entitled “Stability Assurance and Design Optimization of Large Power Delivery Networks with Multiple On-Chip Voltage Regulators” ( co-authored by Suming Lai, Boyuan Yan and Peng Li), received the prestigious IEEE/ACM William J. McCalla ICCAD Best Paper Award [more …].
[from left: Naehyuck Chang ( ACM/SIGDA Representative), Boyuan Yan, Suming Lai, Peng Li, and Donatella Sciuto (IEEE CEDA President)]
- September 2012: Texas Instruments writes about teaming up with our group to tackle stability challenges of analog circuits. Read the full story.
- June 2012, Ph.D. student Leyi Yin successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis. Good luck Leyi for your new position at Cirrus Logic in Austin!
- December 2011: Prof. Feng Liang from Dept. of Microelectronics, Xi’an Jiaotong University joined us as a visiting scholar. Welcome Prof. Liang!
- December 2011: Ph.D. student Zhiyu (Albert) Zeng has graduated and joined Samsung Austin Research Center (SARC). Albert: best luck for your new post at SARC!
- June 2011: Our paper: “Automatic stability checking for large linear analog integrated circuits”, co-authored by Parijat Mukherjee, Peter Fang (Texas Instruments), Rod Burt (Texas Instruments), and Peng Li, won the best paper award at the 48th IEEE/ACM Design Automation Conference (DAC’11). This paper was the sole Best Paper Award winner for this year and was selected from nine nominated candidates, 156 accepted technical papers and 690 submitted papers. Congratulations Parijat!
- April 2011: Graduate students Albert Zeng and Tong Xu have won third place in the first ACM TAU Workshop Power Grid Analysis Contest. Congratulations Albert and Tong!
- March 2011: Our paper: “Automatic stability checking for large linear analog integrated circuits”, co-authored by Parijat Mukherjee, Peter Fang, Rod Burt, and Peng Li has been nominated as one of the nine best paper award candidates at the IEEE/ACM Design Automation Conference (DAC’11). Congratulations Parijat!
- November 2010: A new book, Simulation and Verification of Electronic and Biological Systems (book title), has been co-edited by Peng Li, L. Miguel Silveira (TU Lisbon) and Peter Feldmann (IBM T. J. Watson Research Center). The book contains contributions of 22 researchers from Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Designer’s Guide Consulting, Goethe University of Frankfurt, MIT, Sandia National Laboratories, Synopsys, Texas A&M, Texas Instruments, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UCSF. The book has been published by Springer in 2011. (click to order online).
- Special Section Call for Papers: IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (TCAD), PAR-CAD: Parallel CAD Algorithms and CAD for Parallel Architectures/Systems
Submission Deadline: Jan 30, 2011.
Guest Editors: Peng Li/Texas A&M, Diana Marculescu/CMU.
- Xiaoji Ye, Ph.D. student, defended in July 2010 and has joined Intel Corporation, Hillsboro, OR. Congrats!!
- July 2010: A new book, Recent Topics on Modeling of Semiconductor Processes, Devices and Circuits (book title), has been co-edited by Rasit O. Topaloglu (GLOBALFOUNDRIES) and Prof. Peng Li. The book collects the contributions of 18 researchers from Arizona State U., GLOBALFOUNDRIES, IBM, Michigan Tech., National Taiwan U., Nanyang Technological U., Oracle, Texas A&M, Texas Instruments, UCLA, UC Riverside, U. Wisconsin. The book will be published by Bentham Publishing (click to order).
- April 2010: our paper, titled “Analysis of large clock meshes via harmonic-weighted model order reduction and port sliding,” co-authored by Xiaoji Ye, Prof. Peng Li, Dr. Min Zhao, Dr. Rajendran Panda and Prof. Jiang Hu, was accepted by IEEE Trans. on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (TCAD) and nominated for the TCAD best paper award.
- Guo Yu, Ph.D. student graduated in December 2009 and has joined Oracle Corporation, Austin, TX. Congrat our December graduates! See graduation pictures.
- Srinath Narasimhan, M.S. student, defended in November 2009 and has joined Intel Corporation, Oregon.
- Akshit Dayal, M.S. student, graduated in December 2009 and has joined Texas Instruments, Houston, TX.
- 2010 ACM TAU Workshop: General Chair: Peng Li/Texas A&M, Program Chair: Florentin Dartu/Synopsys Inc. Submission due: Dec. 15, 2009.
- Call for Papers: Parallel CAD: Algorithm Design and Programming, Special Section Call for Papers, TODAES: ACM Transactions on Design Automation of Electronic Systems.
- Guest Editors: Kurt Keutzer/UC Berkeley, Peng Li/Texas A&M, Li Shang/U. Colorado, Hai Zhou/Northwestern U. Submission due: Mar. 10, 2010, Acceptance notification: May 10, 2010.
- I’m co-organizing the Circuit and Multi-Domain Simulation Workshop (CMS) with Peter Feldmann (IBM Watson Research Center) and L. Miguel Silveira (TU Lisbon). CMS will be co-located with ICCAD and held in the Doubletree Hotel, San Jose on Nov. 5th. Register and come to see 10+ excellent talks from the academia, industry and national labs!
- Ph.D. student Xiaoji Ye has won a Best in Session Award for the work on hierarchical multi-algorithm parallel simulation (HMAPS) from the 2009 SRC Techcon Conference. Techcon is an annual event showcasing the SRC sponsored research worldwide. Congrat Xiaoji!
- Wei Dong, Ph.D. student, graduated and joined Texas Instruments, Dallas, TX in July 2009.
- Zhuo Feng, Ph.D. student graduated and joined the faculty at Michigan Tech. as an assistant professor in July 2009.
- Two of our four papers presented at the International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD), a premier design automation venue, received the best paper award nomination in November 2008. This year there were 458 papers submitted to ICCAD. This first paper was on leveraging SIMD graphics processors for large power grid analysis and authored by Zhuo Feng and Prof. Peng Li. The second paper was on the theory and analysis of SRAM dynamic stability, co-authored by Wei Dong, Peng Li, and Prof. Garng M. Huang.
- Our parallel simulation work received the prestigious the 2008 Best Paper Award from the IEEE/ACM Design Automation Conference (DAC), a premier conference on design tools and methodologies. The paper was co-authored by Wei Dong, Prof. Peng Li and Xiaoji Ye. It was one of the two papers that received the best paper award out of a total of 639 submissions (news coverage: Business Wire).